June Mar Fajardo postponed his planned retirement from Gilas Pilipinas as head coach Tim Cone faces manpower issues ahead of the August FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers.
Gilas will be without Mike Phillips and Quentin Millora-Brown, while Kai Sotto’s availability remains uncertain, leaving AJ Edu as the team’s only available natural center aside from Fajardo.
Cone said Fajardo, 36, was persuaded to return to help the team against Jordan and Iran.
Fajardo has been part of the national team since 2013 and had been considering retirement as younger big men emerged.
Cone admitted that Gilas has struggled to field its best players but said the team needs to maximize its available roster.
Source: PhilNews24 | August 17, 2026
Latest from Sport
Top Filipino tennis players and rising stars will converge at the CSA Tennis Stadium in San
Pedro Taduran will defend his International Boxing Federation minimumweight title against undefeated Spanish challenger Brandon Moreno
Alex Eala and her American friend Iva Jovic will set aside their friendship when they face
The Philippine U-20 men’s saber team defeated Thailand, 45-40, to win gold at the Southeast Asian
Alas Pilipinas Women secured their first-ever silver medal in the SEA V Cup after beating Indonesia
